Go Back   FMUK > Forza Motorsport 4 > The Workshop

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Notices

Old 25-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
OcR Pirate
Race Driver

Gamertag
OcR Pirate
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
'Grip Circle' question

We all know the 'grip circles' on the "Friction" tab of the telemetry...

I know that when you have a red circle, that the tyre has lost grip... What do the yellow and blue lines mean?

I've noticed they're different before, and the yellow is always shorter... but today for the first time I noticed them being at different angles! Why/what is this?

(Situation - landing off the jump near the end of the full Nurburgring lap. Braking, wheel is 'forward', pulling 2.86G turning towards the right though (might have started the turn before the jump... the yellow line is more 'forwards backwards' than the blue line on both rear wheels (by about 10 degrees(, one rear wheel is skidding (blue lines on edge of circle, yellow line outside of the circle), the other one is not (Blue line on edge of circle, yellow line inside the circle)...)
Old 25-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
I've never studied the telemetry or stats on forza nor do i play it anymore but I thought it was the direction of load greatest applied upon the tyre....

...i'm most likely completely wrong how ever lol
Old 25-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
TfR smokinmasta
Head Admin

Gamertag
TfR smokinmasta
PSN Tag
Smokinmasta
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Red Circles is a visual of the grip available at each tire, and the blue lines inside them are the amount of grip you are actually asking the tire to produce. This displays a more detailed brake down of the “Friction Circle” type telemetry from the “Body Acceleration” telemetry screen.

If you watch the red circles off the start line, the front ones will get slightly smaller and the back ones will grow. That is because a tire’s grip is related to the amount of weight on that tire more weight = more grip, to an extent. So as you jump on the gas, weight shifts backward, and the rear circles grow because your rear tires have more grip.

When you go into a corner, you will also see the circles change size as weight shifts side-to-side. jump over a curb, and the circles disappear if the tire leaves the ground! The blue line shows how much you are asking of the tire – if it is outside the red circle, it means you are pushing that tire too hard and it has lost grip, so it is sliding. If you look at the telemetry during a spin, the blue lines will be well outside the red circles.

If the blue line is inside the circle, it means that there is more grip available, since the circle is the limit. You are using your tires most effectively when the blue line is touching the red circle.

Notice while Braking which circles are getting bigger, usually the front will get bigger than the rear with the bias > that 50% Front. Keep moving 1% Front till you have lost grip completely skidded out as a result of understeer when braking. Move back 1% to be in the safe zone.
Old 26-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
OcR Pirate
Race Driver

Gamertag
OcR Pirate
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
I know that much, smokin... I just wonder why the blue and yellow lines aren't in the same direction in this one time, when every other time I've looked they have been
Old 26-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
The direction of the lines shows the direction of the g-forces being exerted on the wheel. This is affected by sideways forces (lateral g), accelerative forces (longitudinal g) and vertical forces (vertical g).

The combination of these as the car moves around will affect the direction in which each wheel is pushed. Usually, the differences (at least on the same axle) are very small and you won't notice them. In this case, your landing is causing large variations in the g-forces being exerted on each wheel which is leading to differing directions of applied force.

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.
Old 27-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
(xpr) danfay12
Banned

Gamertag
danfay12
Rep
vCash
Hmm I don't realy bother with the telemetry,always thought it was a bit geeky and sad,that may be why I'm rubbish.

Tags
forza, greatest