Go Back   FMUK > General > Discussion

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Salmonboyuk
Test Driver

Gamertag
SalmonboyUK
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Presentation for Interview - Your advice?

Okay, you chaps seem to be giving out some good advice lately so I thought I'd get in on the act.

I have to give a presentation as part of an interview on Thursday. The role is for Marketing Manager at RSPCA and this is what I have been given the task of.

Quote:
Background:

Every year the RSPCA mail a Christmas catalogue of seasonal goods to a warm list of supporters selected from the RSPCA supporter database. The selection might include but is not limited to; regular givers, payroll givers, legacy-pledgers, previous catalogue buyers, credit card holders, rehomers and volunteers.

The RSPCA currently mail to 250,000 people and receive approximately 15,000 orders with an average order value of just under £30.

This year the RSPCA has decided to invest £100k in a variety of marketing activities to boost order levels and raise the average order value.

Tasks:

Using your experience, please prepare a 10 minute presentation that details how you would spend the £100k budget and the expected return on the investment for each channel you have chosen.

Please note: While this is a fictional exercise, please try to be realistic with the allocation of your budget, the activities you choose and in your return predictions. You can be as creative as you like with your choice of channels and activities.

I have a few ideas myself but I haven't given a presentation since I did my IDM course years ago. Any tips or advice would be great or even what direction as to take with the task. I might be a bit too narrow in my views of what to do.

Anyone have experience of giving presentations?

Any help/advice would be fantastic.

Cheers.

FMUK Paint Competition Season One Winner (well, I'm not going to win anything on the track )
Old 08-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
WildCards26
Crew Chief

Gamertag
WildCards26
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
I have no experience myself but I have worked closely with marketeers for quite a few years, usually sitting on the other side of the presentation.

I like visual presentations, I don't just mean PP but something made, something you can hand out and get the folks you're presenting to involved in. If you're pitching a particular thing, something tangible for the task you've quoted above it might be worth while making one or a few to hand out at the presentation.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Oldgit Maxster
Race Driver

Gamertag
Mr Maxster
PSN Tag
Ilovexbox
Rep
vCash
Twitter Profile YouTube Profile
ohh nice challange.

Presentations I peronaly avoid a script as long as you have a clear vision of what your point is and know your subject. avoid reading out what they can see but add depth to the slides.

Channels 100k isnt much really for a national campaign. I suppose iwould look at fundraising at the regional centers with a theme, hte walk of life etc have grown and captured wide publicity so somthing to get people involved would be good, probably avoid hedgehog pies and cow tipping.
Convential media is a given but a bit dull
Social networking sites, would be a good channel and I phone apps very now things.

Comments

Old 08-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Salmonboyuk
Test Driver

Gamertag
SalmonboyUK
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Thanks chaps. That's definitely some food for thought there. Great ideas Maxster.

You're right. 100k for a national campaign isn't alot, but I get the feeling the use of it is for more traditional direct marketing channels such as DM and ad-space (which as you say, is a given), but I think it's definitely worth mentioning other channels such as social-networking sites for sure!

FMUK Paint Competition Season One Winner (well, I'm not going to win anything on the track )
Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
WiggyDiggyPoo

Gamertag
wiggydiggypoo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Ok here goes :
  • Have no more than 4 slides - you'll only have 2.5 mins a slide which is pushing it. I would only have 2 slides TBH
  • Your presentation/appearence - judge your audence, they might be a bunch of cat huggers but a smart appearence will go a long way
  • Practice - Read back to yourself what you want to say. Does it answer all the main points
  • Leave some time at the end for questions/delays

Good luck !
Old 08-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Salmonboyuk
Test Driver

Gamertag
SalmonboyUK
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by WiggyDiggyPoo View Post
Ok here goes :
  • Have no more than 4 slides - you'll only have 2.5 mins a slide which is pushing it. I would only have 2 slides TBH
  • Your presentation/appearence - judge your audence, they might be a bunch of cat huggers but a smart appearence will go a long way
  • Practice - Read back to yourself what you want to say. Does it answer all the main points
  • Leave some time at the end for questions/delays

Good luck !

Nice one Wiggy. I didn't think of it that way. I was going to throw quite a few slides at this, but thinking again, I should keep this simple.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
WiggyDiggyPoo

Gamertag
wiggydiggypoo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Thats my one top tip for anything where I have to talk e.g. meetings, presentations - Do I have enough time ?

If not then there is probably too much detail - I once spent 20 minutes demonstrating a system to a high level exec, who apparently was bored stiff after 2 and only wanted a general view.

Luckily for me my colleagues eventually stopped sniggering at me and subtly pointed out he'd been staring into space for ther last 15 mins whilst I droned on regardless !

Comments

Old 08-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Oldgit Maxster
Race Driver

Gamertag
Mr Maxster
PSN Tag
Ilovexbox
Rep
vCash
Thinking of cat huggers. I did a presentation to the guidedogs ppl and they did not give me the impression of hard nosed pro's more a relaxed mixed bag.
Hard to tell who you will find when they open the door.

I would have a few slides to linger on but go for a few more flick through. 10mins is short
Old 08-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Catch
Test Driver

Gamertag
Ard2Catch
Rep
vCash
From doing documents in work (Graphs, operation manuals, progress reports) i have found when using colour, use very dull versions..

Bright colours feels like school boy work.
Dull colours feel more proffesional

And also fonts.. Plain and simple.. Not overly elaborate.. Verdana or Tahoma are my fav's.. Bit more than standard arial but not "trying" to hard..

Good luck! 10mins isn't long at all to say your piece! It'll fly by! Make sure you have a watch or timer with your notes to keep you on track..

Comments

Old 08-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
TfR Stalky
Test Driver

Gamertag
TfR Stalky
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
OK – so they are getting a 6% response rate from their “warm” list. Direct mail for this kind of thing is proven, so it makes sense to do some more.

Direct Mail
RSPCA are part of the Reciprocate data-pool and this is always going to be their most cost effective source of data – I would expect them to get in the region of 2% response from this with packs costing 40p per unit.

It may be that they struggle to get enough data from Reciprocate because of the strict regulations they have on mailing frequency and mailing dates.

If we say that 60% of budget should be spent on Direct Mail at 40p per pack – we need 171,000 names. Let’s say that they can get 30k from Reciprocate, so we need to look elsewhere. I would suggest the following:

Alternative Animal Sanctuary – 21k (may rent to competitor)
BUAV lapsed – 15974 (likely to rent as lapsed donors)
Hopegivers (not animal but my best performing charity list – have got 8% on a cold campaign)
Pony Sanctuary – 10k (likely to rent)
+ many more

Inserts
They should also look at third party inserts – they can get a small catalogue (a5 6pp or more if they want – depending on how many products it is beneficial to show) delivered to people in their favoured catalogue and views when someone is in a purchasing frame of mind. Eg:

Insert is carried in House of Bath catalogue. Old lady at home picks up her catalogue which she looks through every month to see what she might buy – out falls RSPCA catalogue offering relevant products.

The key to this is buying the right media at the right price – a mailed catalogue has much less wastage that a national paper in terms of targeting. You also guarantee that you reach people who do buy by mail order (handy for effectively a mail order offering) and when they are in a buying frame of mind.

Generally an insert is about 5 times more responsive than an off the page ad and allows you more of a shop window – 6 pages worth (or whathever you decide).

Targetting and cost are critical – if targeting is slightly out you are still paying for the print in addition to wasted media budget. It is very easy to pay too much for this – should be no more than £50 inclusive of print and much less in some cases.

Email
Email needs a clever approach to work for charities. RSPB (I think it was them) did a good campaign recently getting people to sign a petition and capturing data.

You can run this on a CPA basis – so let the data owners carry the risk. Put out an email saying help the animals, sign this petion and offer them an opt out for further information via DM and an opt-in for email. Would be around £1 per name, however these would be like-minded people to market too going forward.

This is a bit long winded for a Christmas campaign – more of long term approach.

Social Media

Worth including although not my area of expertise. I do know however that charities usually get exited by this kind of thing and getting younger people on board – bigger LTV blah blah. They key is here to get some kind of data capture involved – it is tricky to recruit at break even and therefore you need to keep adding people into the database to work LTV

Search advertising
Very cost effective for this kind of product. Again not my area

Brochure requests

Can advertise their brochure on some brochure request sites – brochurebank and many more. You would be paying about £1 per brochure however you know that each person is interested to receive it.

Personally I would split budget as follows:

50% direct mail
20% inserts
20% search
5% social media
5% brochure requests

Hope this helps.

Comments

Old 08-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
Oldgit Maxster
Race Driver

Gamertag
Mr Maxster
PSN Tag
Ilovexbox
Rep
vCash
bloomin heck stalky interesting stuff. Must think about this in our plan here.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
Salmonboyuk
Test Driver

Gamertag
SalmonboyUK
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Bloody hell Stalky. That's awesome. Gonna have a good read of that now!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Salmonboyuk
Test Driver

Gamertag
SalmonboyUK
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Stalky - I take it you work for an Agency? Is this info from your work.

I have to say, this info is invaluable and pretty much fits in with what I proposed (most budget on DM, inserts and press ads and obvious online presence - email and social networking). However, I never had this amount of info to play with (only my experience of buying relative to what I was marketing at my last company).

The level of detail here is fantastic. I cannot thank you enough.

Couple of questions.

You recommend the purchase of these lists to make up 50 - 60% of the budget but I would be advised to test these first. Is this something that fits in with your plan? Perhaps a two-stage campaign?

In my experience, Inserts do not work as well as page ads if selling one item, but for a multi choice option, are they really five times more responsive? (I spose it does make sense that the more you can offer, the more response you'll get).

It makes me realise that I was stuck in a rut in my last company and not exploring all the avenues available. This has got me pretty excited tbf.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
HLR Woody
Race Team Manager

At the bottom of the world. Just slightly north of Antarctica.
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile
As a slightly off the wall idea you could always team up with Tesco/Nectar for animal shaped club/nectar cards. That way the other company may foot a large part of the bill and for every x points earnt you could make a £20 donation to the RSPCA (or something similar). Just something slightly different to consider.

EDIT: Don't spend too long on this. Just enough to show you've considered corporate partnership to assist in expanding your available budget and show that you don't just work to the previous norm.
Last edited by Woody; 08-06-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
Salmonboyuk
Test Driver

Gamertag
SalmonboyUK
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by WoodchipSFD View Post
As a slightly off the wall idea you could always team up with Tesco/Nectar for animal shaped club/nectar cards. That way the other company may foot a large part of the bill and for every x points earnt you could make a £20 donation to the RSPCA (or something similar). Just something slightly different to consider.

EDIT: Don't spend too long on this. Just enough to show you've considered corporate partnership to assist in expanding your available budget and show that you don't just work to the previous norm.

Funnily enough, I was talking to my friend who works at Nectar for suggestions etc. Got some good feedback related to reward/loyalty schemes.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
TfR Stalky
Test Driver

Gamertag
TfR Stalky
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Originally Posted by Salmonboyuk View Post
Stalky - I take it you work for an Agency? Is this info from your work.

I have to say, this info is invaluable and pretty much fits in with what I proposed (most budget on DM, inserts and press ads and obvious online presence - email and social networking). However, I never had this amount of info to play with (only my experience of buying relative to what I was marketing at my last company).

The level of detail here is fantastic. I cannot thank you enough.

Couple of questions.

You recommend the purchase of these lists to make up 50 - 60% of the budget but I would be advised to test these first. Is this something that fits in with your plan? Perhaps a two-stage campaign?

In my experience, Inserts do not work as well as page ads if selling one item, but for a multi choice option, are they really five times more responsive? (I spose it does make sense that the more you can offer, the more response you'll get).

It makes me realise that I was stuck in a rut in my last company and not exploring all the avenues available. This has got me pretty excited tbf.

Yes, I work for an agency and this info is from my work.

Ideally it would be best to run a two stage campaign, however the timings are fairly tight - there is a narrow window to sell the Christmas goods. I would expect them to have some past results to plan the campaign from (which of course could change the strategy).

Thinking about this driving home, it is as much a mail order brief as a charity brief - so the lists should be split between the two for testing.

Inserts - for a single product off-the-page tends to work better (you have enough space to fully explain the offer and lower all round costs per '000). For mail order or more complex products Inserts perform very well - particularly in third party mailings.

If you have multiple products you can get very good value from an insert - the cost per '000 per page you add keeps coming down as the media and print cost only goes up slightly. e.g:

if a single page insert costs £20 for print and media per '000, another page could cost you £2 more however you have doubled the size of your add and doubled the number of products. So as a general rule, if you can fill another page with top-sellers - do it.

The other part, which makes a big difference is the ability to piggy-back on non-competing catalogues mailings. Some people are mail order buyers and some are not. To be able to cut the wastage and reach mail order buyers when they are in a buying frame of mind (when they open the catalogue) is invaluable. This is why Direct Mail works so well for charities - what other media can take you to 100% charity donors (no wastage).

It is very easy to do inserts badly - media cost needs to be right down, print format needs to be optimised and bought cheap. For example it is possible to buy into one large mail order company's mailings for sub £10 - print and media.

Comments

Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
Salmonboyuk
Test Driver

Gamertag
SalmonboyUK
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Stalky - you are a legend.

If there is anything I can do for you (Forza or not), jsut let me know. I am in your debt!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #18
pablo2008jedi
Fuel Technician

Gamertag
pablo2008jedi
Rep
vCash
Having just recently been on the other side of the Inteview , where the person we interviewed was giving a presentation, for a Software Testers Job. I can say that keep the presentation simple, no flashy animations etcs... and I have to agree with Wiggy....

Pleanty of practice and make sure you keep to the 10mins, if best leave about 2 mins for any Q&A's Thats one thing my manager and senior manager were looking at. Avoid the wall of text..

...and Good Luck!

Comments

Old 15-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
Salmonboyuk
Test Driver

Gamertag
SalmonboyUK
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Bit of an update:

Had the interview last Thursday. Went like a dream and got fantastic feedback from them. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on the presentation... especially Stalky. They loved the presentation.

I have a 2nd interview this Thursday. However, they have just sprung this on me. I'm a little peeved as it's one 'challenge' after another (my first interview, I also had to do a 45min 'test' which was to summarise FY09 in a document).

Here's what I have to do...

Quote:
Background:

The RSPCA has successfully licensed the charity’s logo for a number of years through a licensing agency. In 2009 the society decided to bring the licensing in-house and manage all relationships themselves - principally to regain control but also to increase revenue from this valuable income stream.

With this in mind, the licensing program was deliberately reduced and now needs significant input and effort from the Trading Team to sign new agreements and develop new products with licensees.

Key to the licensing program is the RSPCA logo, photographic images from the RSPCA photolibrary and 12 character illustrations created and owned by the RSPCA.

Task:

Research the product categories that are most commonly associated with licensing and identify popular brands currently appearing in retailers on the high street.

On the day, please explain how a brand has used licensing to generate a trading income stream successfully and following their example, how the RSPCA could maximise its own potential through licensing, suggesting some key product categories appropriate for the society to target.

Now, I really don't have much of a background in licensing (and they know this). Any ideas how to approach this? They recommend a PP presentation again.

Muchos thanks once again and if anyone can throw a bit of advice my way, I'm sure I could throw a paint or two your way.

Old 15-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #20
TfR smokinmasta
Head Admin

Gamertag
TfR smokinmasta
PSN Tag
Smokinmasta
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Licencing? I assume you mean products using the RSPCA 'brand name' on products?
If so, why not a range of soft toys with 'injurys' ala Pudsy type thing - you know with his bandage/bandana thing?
just one idea anyway
Old 15-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #21
Oldgit Maxster
Race Driver

Gamertag
Mr Maxster
PSN Tag
Ilovexbox
Rep
vCash
Its a shame George Lucus isnt a fan of forza. I would look over amazon I was amazed at the number of products "by" Jamie oliver.

approved endoursed good practice items have to be on the top of the list, but toys chews etc probaly big earners, Pedigree has a real broad range of products
Old 18-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #22
Salmonboyuk
Test Driver

Gamertag
SalmonboyUK
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Last update:

Just to let you know, thanks to all your advice, I got accepted for the job today.

Just awaiting them to put an offer on the table which I should hear about early next week.

Thanks to all that helped me!! If you need a paint done or something, just give me a shout!

Old 18-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #23
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
:b ig_boss:
Old 18-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #24
TfR tescoru
Race Driver

Gamertag
tescoru
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Paintjob Award 
congrats!
Old 18-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #25
Lucky Mushman
Legendary Comic

Gamertag
PzR mushman
Rep
vCash
Twitter Profile
Send a message via MSN to Mushman
Congrats mate, just make sure they know you're busy on the weekend 18th and 19th September

Those kids couldn't be more gay than if they were playing beach volleyball.....................(2 hours later) Oh! They're now playing volleyball with a space-hopper!!!!! (Silverstone 2011)

Spit-roast?............................I can't be @rsed! (Silverstone 2010)
Old 18-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #26
HLR Woody
Race Team Manager

At the bottom of the world. Just slightly north of Antarctica.
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile
Congratulations sir. Would this be working in Horsham? If so a big Sussex welcome. You'll soon not be able to leave.
Old 18-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #27
Salmonboyuk
Test Driver

Gamertag
SalmonboyUK
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by PzR Woodchip View Post
Congratulations sir. Would this be working in Horsham? If so a big Sussex welcome. You'll soon not be able to leave.

It is! Really nice area too.

Cheers peeps.

Old 18-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #28
TfR Stalky
Test Driver

Gamertag
TfR Stalky
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Great news congrats Salmon
Old 18-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #29
PzR G-Stick
Groovemeister

Gamertag
PzR G Stick
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Rookie Award 
Twitter Profile
Wow, good work mate. Lets just hope they offer you enough .cr!

Current FRL Position - 5th Overall
FRL: DTM - 3rd Overall
FRL: Nascar - 8th Overall
Old 18-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #30
Staarman
Race Driver

Gamertag
Staarman
PSN Tag
Staarman
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Salmonboyuk View Post
It is! Really nice area too.

Cheers peeps.

well done mate, you'll have to pop round for a beer. you will only be 2 miles up the road from me.

Tags
big, club, forza, king, logo, online, page, paint, points