Go Back   FMUK > General > PC & Console Gaming > Call of Duty Series

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Old 02-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
PzR Tak
Race Driver

Gamertag
PzR Tak
Rep
vCash
Black Ops 2 (13/11/12)

Open in YouTube SD | Open in YouTube HD (when available)

Comments

Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
I've never been a fan of shooters that are based in the future.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Driver Award 
YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by scuppy182 View Post
I've never been a fan of shooters that are based in the future.

Yeah I'm a bit unsure on this one too. The Call of Duty series has worn thin with me anyway, but there are some impressive parts to the trailer so not righting it off just yet.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Yeah I'm a bit unsure on this one too. The Call of Duty series has worn thin with me anyway, but there are some impressive parts to the trailer so not righting it off just yet.

I agree but its not just CoD, everyone here knows I love the battlefield games but after playing BF2 to death and the release of BF2142 I didn't buy it on the grounds that it was a shooter set in the future and I cannot stand them. Rail guns and laser beams and all sorts.

Reasons why I don't play Quake, Unreal or more recently Halo. Give me bullets and C4 =)
Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Tommo
Race Driver

Gamertag
FTW Tommo
Rep
vCash
I quite like the look of that!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
MeatHelmet1981
Race Driver

Gamertag
JohnyBigPotatos
Rep
vCash
I agree but its not just CoD, everyone here knows I love the battlefield games but after playing BF2 to death and the release of BF2142 I didn't buy it on the grounds that it was a shooter set in the future and I cannot stand them. Rail guns and laser beams and all sorts.

Reasons why I don't play Quake, Unreal or more recently Halo. Give me bullets and C4 =)

Same for me mate. Just dont get lasers/pulse rifles etc. In halo i liked using weapons with projectiles, not the covenent laser guns!

As for the new COD, probably gonna give it a miss, haven't yet bought MW3, dont feel i'm missing anything, I am a convert into the ways of BF3. Cant believe how much i'm enjoying it compared to the COD games. I dont get mad at the games/people playing them, i rarely shout at the screen, unless its something stupid ive done like running into a building to activate an MCOM, realising there are enemy there, and realising i have forgotten to reload my weapon!

I'll borrow it off a mate or rent it, probably just for the story as i quite liked black ops.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
Joystiq have 'broken down' the trailer..
Breaking down the Black Ops 2 reveal trailer | Joystiq
Old 02-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
PzR Tak
Race Driver

Gamertag
PzR Tak
Rep
vCash
Kotaku have posted a "48 things to know about Black Ops 2" article.

Needless to say, spoilers ahoy

Most interesting is not a spoiler, but something that pleases me greatly. Maybe it won't just be COD 4 Modern Warfare with a different skin this time.

Multiplayer director David Vonderhart relayed that the new approach they are taking is "One size does not fit all." That means, he said, that there is no one way to play a Call of Duty game. So, they're pulling back features like create-a-class, killstreaks, and other features and reexamining them, challenging their assumptions of "what cows are sacred."
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
A little lengthy but this guy sums up everything I feel about COD, and just to point out I still have the Original COD1 on Double CD on my shelf. Now that makes me feel old

CODPLOPS: A Cynical History of Call Of Duty | bit-gamer.net

Quote:
CODPLOPS: A Cynical History of COD

I've said it before of the Call of Duty franchise and I'll no doubt have to say it again in the future, but: M'eh. The announcement of a new Black Ops 2 set in the future doesn't change me from that default ambivalence.

The reason why can be explained in what I call the Cynical History of COD, which starts in 2003 when Infinity Ward released the first Call of Duty. It became massively popular very quickly and Activision, keen to hold on to a good thing, released a second game which performed even better. Then another...and another...and again and again until finally so many people got bored of WW2 that even Activision couldn't ignore the yawns.

So, along came Modern Warfare - which remained the most moronic subtitle in gaming until Medal of Honor: Warfighter was announced. Modern Warfare introduced a new setting to liven things up and Infinity Ward presented its now infamous take on class-based multiplayer too. It was a rousing success and, buoyed by this change of scenery and systems, expectations were high that the next game would be just as interesting.

Instead, we got World at War, followed by Modern Warfare 2. Neither innovated in the slightest and, because Modern Warfare 2 was the eleventh game in the series, fans were quick to spot that. Again, they cried out for change.

The Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 announcement trailer

What they got next was Call of Duty: Black Ops, which basically copied Modern Warfare's approach of trying to seem new by changing the setting again. It might have worked too if it had more than a seen-it-before Zombies mode to back it up and if it hadn't been followed by Modern Warfare 3, which lethargically fell back on previous norms.

Now the Cynical History of COD has caught up to present day: it's been five years since Modern Warfare and - hey, guess what? - there's a new Call of Duty in development! Apparently it will change the setting again, moving the series to the future and introducing robots and tiny flying helicopters! That's sure to enliven the series a bit more, right? Just look at the mechs in that trailer!

What the trailer doesn't show though is anything beyond the sci-fi trappings which might distinguish CODBLOPS2 from any other entry in the untenably long-running series. We see fleeting glimpses of controllable drones and some canyon-limited horseback riding, but these don't really suggest anything different to the UAVs and tank levels of previous games. There is literally nothing to say that Black Ops 2 couldn't instead be subtitled as just 'More-Modern Warfare'.

For that matter, why is the trailer showing us the single player anyway? This is a series which, when faced with any criticism, usually falls back on the idea that it's the multiplayer that matters most, not the campaign. And if you've not had fun with the MP then you obviously just had some bad games. And if you didn't then you're probably not much of a 'real' gamer. I've heard all these excuses and more over the years.

"Bloody hell, Joe," I can hear you saying, "what is it you expect Treyarch to do exactly? Reinvent the entire FPS genre?"

CODPLOPS: A Cynical History of Call Of Duty CODPLOPS: A Cynical History Of COD
Fact: There are more Call of Duty games than there Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo games combined. Including expansions.

Yes, is my answer - or to try, at least. In just the time since the original Modern Warfare was released there's been amazing advances in both the technology used to create games and our understanding of what makes games good. We've seen the Frostbite Engine and LA Noire's Natural Motion, Eyefinitiy and Onlive. We've seen Kinect and the iPad and 3D Vision; Portal, Minecraft and Deus Ex.

And, for all that time, Call of Duty has puttered along fuelled by nothing but its own, tired ego. It hasn't introduced new ideas or expanded its features notably; even the newish co-op content in Spec Ops is pithy and tokenistic. COD hasn't introduced new technology nor fascinated the industry with creative solutions; the IW engine traces its heritage back to Quake III and produces only tiny, static levels which lack detail and interactivity. The structure of each game is the same as ever: closed-off corridors and flashing yellow spots where you need to attach the C4, punctuated every now and again by a turret level.

The only significant step COD has taken in the last five years has been with dedicated servers, which was a technological step backwards.

This is normally the point in a balanced article where even a cynical commentator would say it's too early to damn a game and that we should at least wait and see a few more previews before we make our minds up. I'm too angry to say that though; I'm not only not excited, I'm physically repulsed by what Call of Duty has done to gaming and feel shortchanged on the potential of the medium by this cynically produced, but best-selling drivel.

Black Ops 2 will have to be pretty amazing to even raise me to the point of neutrality - because just because Treyarch is setting Black Ops 2 in future, doesn't mean the series isn't still living in the past.

Last edited by scuppy182; 06-05-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: added link to quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
Urg, sums up my feelings too unfortunately. Used to be so excited for MoH and CoD games, now I already know what I'm going to get and know it's not exciting.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile

Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
I think a little part of me dies each time a CoD game gets released.

Comments

Only a couple more releases and well be in the zombies section.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
i lol'd
Old 07-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
TORA_Trash
Mechanic

Gamertag
IRT Trash
Rep
vCash
wow multiplayer fail again imo , thankfully zombies are back.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
if they just released the zombies as a download pack i'd prolly buy it but not anyother COD game as they never drop in price until the next one is out.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
Hyped Hamster
Race Driver

Gamertag
Hyped Hamster
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Bailey is KinG View Post
Anyone who buys into this copy & paste series deserves to be ripped off, but i know 100's of thousands will.

Maybe a decent story and zombies will save it again.

Ive played MW3 for more than 7 days straight, play reguarly with my mates who I dont get to see in person very often cause we've all got commitments, generally we have alot of fun. 40 for 7 days solid of entertainment is not a rip off in my opinion.

I dont understand the hate personally, yea they're cashing in and we do need to see some changes like destructable enviroments, dedicated servers and a better spawn system but I enjoy my time with CoD and get my moneys worth.

Oh and that multiplayer trailer looks sweet in my opinion.
Last edited by Hyped Hamster; 08-08-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
Bailey
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Bailey
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile
Originally Posted by Hyped Hamster View Post
Ive played MW3 for more than 7 days straight, play reguarly with my mates who I dont get to see in person very often cause we've all got commitments, generally we have alot of fun. 40 for 7 days solid of entertainment is not a rip off in my opinion.

I dont understand the hate personally, yea they're cashing in and we do need to see some changes like destructable enviroments, dedicated servers and a better spawn system but I enjoy my time with CoD and get my moneys worth.

Oh and that multiplayer trailer looks sweet in my opinion.

Oh i'm guilty of buying and playing too and having fun cod2 through to mw2 but kinda stopped there, but yes it would be nice to see some changes. But their not going to change a successful formula
Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Hyped Hamster
Race Driver

Gamertag
Hyped Hamster
Rep
vCash
They dont need to change the formula, it works and its fun. They do however need to make advancements. Destructable enviroments would make the game epic, real warzone type scenarios with bombs leaving craters and stuff. Dedicated servers are a must and they should rip the spawn system from battlefield cause its much better and if theres one thing that pisses me off about CoD its spawn killing.

In all honesty im fed up of reading all the hate about CoD, people are spoilt for choice with quality games these days and all they do is moan about it like things were better in the 80's or something, they werent!

Everyone crying about Mass Effect 3s ending pissed me off too, the old ending left some mystery but a million dumb asses had to go and complain til they had everything spelled out for them.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Hyped Hamster View Post
They dont need to change the formula, it works and its fun. They do however need to make advancements. Destructable enviroments would make the game epic, real warzone type scenarios with bombs leaving craters and stuff. Dedicated servers are a must and they should rip the spawn system from battlefield cause its much better and if theres one thing that pisses me off about CoD its spawn killing.

why don't you just play Battlefield then or get them to play it
Old 09-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #20
Hyped Hamster
Race Driver

Gamertag
Hyped Hamster
Rep
vCash
why don't you just play Battlefield then or get them to play it

Some of my mates do play Battlefield but not the majority, I do like it too but it just doesnt feel right to me...the controls in CoD feel so tight that when i switch to other shooters it feels off. When I said battlefields is much better I was only talking about the spawn system.

I dont think CoD will ever really change much but so long as they keep improving on it im not gonna complain, it'll take a whole new franchise to redefine the shooter genre...alot of people keep saying the genre has gone stagnent but they arent exaclty full of ideas to move it forward either.

Crysis is one of the only games that has pushed things in recent years, sort of a mix between Halo and CoD but its still not all that different and the multiplayer was shallow.
Last edited by Hyped Hamster; 09-08-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 30-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #21
TfR pepsighost
Test Driver

Gamertag
TfR pepsighost
Rep
vCash
Awards
Determination Award Best Paintjob Award Determination Award Photocomp Winner 
Black Ops 2 zombie trailer

Sorry if this has been posted already i didn't see it
Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
TfR Milton
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Milton
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Best Rookie Award 
YouTube Profile
Who's getting this then

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
HLR Milo
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
HLR Milo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Me

npower Championship: Huddersfield Town

National Football League: New England Patriots

National Basketball Association: Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 09-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #24
Bailey
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Bailey
Rep
vCash
Awards
Twitter Profile
Fps Russia was in the tv trailer

Sent from my Intel AZ210A using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
TfR Milton
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Milton
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
Saw the trailer on Xbox , looked cool. Gave in you per pressure, cant let my 10 yr bro beat me lol. Hea only had live 3 months and he's ranting about the quick scop he done lol

Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
Carpy Pants
Aerodynamicist

Gamertag
Carpy Pants
Rep
vCash
so who is getting this tonight ????? every year i say i wont and i do so im off down Blockbuster shortly to grab mine... perks of getting on with the manager ...

FMUK - GP2 Series Champion
Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
TfR Milton
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Milton
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
Im off out later, gotta pick up 2 copies, one from Tesco with 2100 m$ points for 43 that little bro sorted ( I get the points ) and 1 from game whetr trading in old games for 2x the money

Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
Bailey
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Bailey
Rep
vCash
Awards
Twitter Profile
Unless you have disposable income, how can people justify 40 or so for a re-skinned game? every year.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
Jam
Race Driver

Gamertag
Cluck Norris
Rep
vCash
I've got it, seems okay i guess. Getting very tired of the same **** now though, as Bailey said.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #30
TfR pepsighost
Test Driver

Gamertag
TfR pepsighost
Rep
vCash
Awards
Determination Award Best Paintjob Award Determination Award Photocomp Winner 
I've got my copy pre ordered should be here with the morning post

Tags
battlefield, bombs, broken, cars, class, cod, dlc, engine, fmuk, free, games, history, king, league, live, maps, online, points, portal, post, running, strike, tapatalk, warfare, world, xbox