Go Back   FMUK > Forza Motorsport 4 > The Workshop

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Notices

Old 19-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Tenacious Mika
Tyre Carrier

Rep
vCash
Gearing Help !

Hi guys, I'm (slowly) gettin to grips wit tuning but could really do wit some help on understanding how the gears/final drive thing works on Forza, so can anyone offer advice or wr to DL some, Cheers
Old 19-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
Short answer is, higher numbers in the ratio = shorter gears = better acceleration, more chance of wheelspin and lower top speed.

Longer answer, I'm going to be lazy and quote from a pm I sent out ages ago:

However, gears are pretty simple, yet can also be complex if you're not careful.

First off, I'm assuming that we're talking race gearbox here (since that's what's in the Toyota). I usually start off adjusting the final drive so that the top of 6th gear is about 90% of the way along the top of the tuning chart (further if the car is for Le Mans or an Oval).

Next step is take it for a test drive around the track you want to tune for (or a suitable track if it's a car for general use). There's a few things to look out for now:

1) Does the car launch well? If it spins it's wheels, look to extend 1st gear or the final drive. If it bogs down, shorten 1st of the final drive.

2) Does the car reach it's peak power in 6th gear at the fastest part of the track? If you go past this, and then extend your 6th gear so that it's at peak power in 6th gear. Now space your intervening gears to give a smooth curve to the underside of the ratio graph (not sure how to describe this, hope that makes sense).

3) Chances are though you probably haven't reached the peak power in 6th gear. If you are in 6th at the fastest part of the track, shorten top gear as required and space your other gears as above. If you're not reaching 6th gear, you may want to try a 5 or even 4 speed setup. In this case, just set 5th (or 4th!) gear so that you reach peak power at the fastest part of the track (exactly as you would for 6th). Then just set the intervening gears as you did above. It's also worth setting the 'redundant' gears above your chosen top gear to be reasonable too just in case you catch a draft or take the car on a longer track.

4) Does the car bog down between gears? If you're running a 6-speed then there's not a lot you can do, other than maybe space the lower gears out a little and close up the top gears. If it's been build as a 4- or 5-speed, you may want to reconsider and increase the number of gears you're using. (For comparison, the Toyota was built for Iberian Mini as a 4-speed).

5) If you're building for a specific track, take the car there and make sure you're not falling badly between gears for a corner. If you do, it's often worth lengthening or shortening the relevant gear a little so that you don't bog down or hit the rev limiter. If possible, it's always good to avoid changing gear in a corner.

As I said, gears start simple... and get more complicated the further into them you get

Comments

Thanx 4 this

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.
Old 19-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Tenacious Mika
Tyre Carrier

Rep
vCash
Nice one Ant, It's not lazy, it'd b stupid to re write all that again !!! Thanx for takin the time, I'll print it off an add it to my increasing pile of Tips n how to's etc
Old 19-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Screaming
Test Driver

Rep
vCash
another thing to consider is stock gearbox vs race gearbox etc.

Try both and see which gives faster lap times, sometimes the PI is better spent on more power. the stock gears can be shockingly spaced sometimes, but other times the spacing between gears is nice.
Old 20-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
Tenacious Mika
Tyre Carrier

Rep
vCash
An a big ol thanx to u to I'm building up courage/skill to enter the TTs but only been playin Forza since start of this year ( Yes I know lol) but am already hopelessly addicted an havin to play catch up re cars, set ups an tracks !!!! Should b gettin my Fanatec CSR package in a week or 2 so I'll keep plugging away til I'm ready to unleash the beast Thanx again guys an if u Know of any other helpful stuff I'd appreciate a link
Old 20-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
Newt
Race Driver

Gamertag
LastNewtStandin
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Member of the Month Best Rookie Award 
Twitter Profile
Just dive in mate, There are a few SF tunes going up, If you want to tune ur own take a peek at their tunes hp, rollcages, lateral and weight etc, Then try to replicate it stat wise

Ambitious but Rubbish Racing - Slow by name not by nature
Old 20-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Tenacious Mika
Tyre Carrier

Rep
vCash
Hmmmm Just may well do that, but will wait for a track i'm familiar with, I'm actually in the top 1% of several tracks i've focused on so i'm not exactly a "mobile Chicane" lol, thanx for the encouragement tho Newt an I'll keep an eye out for ya !!!!
Old 20-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Anx
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
PTG Anxious
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Photocomp Winner 
Keep your eyes on the TT threads, people here usually end up building something capable of top 100 in the right hands, and quite often much higher up the lb's. Or the guys setting fast times will point others in the direction of the SF where they found the tune they are using.

R.I.P H00nta
Pendulum Tuning Group
Forzatographer and occasional tuner (very occasional )
Old 20-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Tenacious Mika
Tyre Carrier

Rep
vCash
Thanx Mann, looked earlier but not sure if i'm lookin in right place, ie think Screamings last one ended on 3rd of this month but I'll have a proper look when i get 5 mins !
Old 20-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
Screaming
Test Driver

Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Tenacious Mika View Post
Thanx Mann, looked earlier but not sure if i'm lookin in right place, ie think Screamings last one ended on 3rd of this month but I'll have a proper look when i get 5 mins !

Latest time trial thread here...
TT#8 Sponsored by TfR Guru. - FMUK

I've got 3 free tunes on my storefront for it and also posted details of how to build my joss tune which is top 30 on the leaderboard, hopefully some of that helps

Comments

Old 21-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #11
Tenacious Mika
Tyre Carrier

Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Screaming View Post
Latest time trial thread here...
TT#8 Sponsored by TfR Guru. - FMUK

I've got 3 free tunes on my storefront for it and also posted details of how to build my joss tune which is top 30 on the leaderboard, hopefully some of that helps

Cheers Screaming, That's perfect, The Rs are my fave class an I'm familiar with Sebring (I think lol) So I'll get stuck in later today, an I'll happily pay for the set ups I'll prob say Hi to all an put a banker time on Gurus thread in next day or 2 ! Much appreciated

Tags
advice, big, cars, class, fanatec, final, fmuk, forza, free, race, replica, running, sebring, stock, storefront, tfr, tune, tuning