Go Back   FMUK > Forza Motorsport 4 > The Workshop

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Notices

Old 14-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
HLR Dark Moon
Manuel Almoonio

Gamertag
HLR Dark Moon
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile YouTube Profile
The build?

I want to know what are the most important upgrades you put on a car and why when you are going to tune a new car that is not maxed out?

This is something in which I have always seemed to get wrong as I just put on parts just to make it fit the PI ( be it class or max PI for a comp ).
Old 14-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Really depends on the car...

If torque band is flat, i avoid upgrading the cams.. and if its the opposite end i'll make sure that is one of the first things i do.

Otherwise i look at reducing weight as much as possible rather than adding power.

Oh and for some cars, wider sport tyres work better than thin race tyres in terms of control of the car rather than absolute cornering speed.

and i took race suspension as a given really as getting a car to behave how it suits you seems to be the most important thing for 4 over 3.
Last edited by TfR Mike; 14-10-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 14-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
For me, the first port of call is usually to upgrade the suspension so I can get the car dialled in how I like it. The only time I don't use the suspension is when there is very little PI available over stock and the need for adjustable gears overrides it.

After that, I'll generally look to add the other adjustable parts (although wings are normally left off if I'm doing a pure speed tune). Diff is an obvious one, but in tests the flywheel and driveline upgrades are also at least as good as power. Clutch is also better PI value than power unless you're running manual with clutch, and even then the difference appears to be marginal.

The last part I'll add is the wheel rim upgrade as I use that for the final few PI to get the car dialled right in.

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.
Old 15-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
TfR Doony
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Doony
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Paintjob Award 
Send a message via MSN to Doony
I usually fit all suspension adjustable parts, as all those have minimal effect on pi, unless the car you are upgrading is close to the limit of the class you want. Then tyres, mostly try and stick race tyres on wherever possible, but it's not always a must.

Next I'll go for weight reduction over power upgrades, as it has a dual effect of handling and speed of the car. If it's a high class car, A or above, full transmission upgrades. But usually I'll make the pi up to within 15pi of the class limit, with power upgrades.

Then use the remainder on transmisson upgrades and wheels. Transmission upgrades of course is depending on the car, some can get away with a stock box, even in higher classes, others need it changing straight away, mostly older cars with crap ratios.
Old 18-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Garyb
Tyre Carrier

Gamertag
Geeeb1der
Rep
vCash
I always go for weigh redution over power. Engine upgrades are usually the last thing upgrade when building a car.

Tags
cars, class, engine, final, race, running, stock, tune