Go Back   FMUK > General > Discussion > Photography

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Slim's Astro Images

Thought I'd start my own little gallery thread to keep a record of my endeavours to take photos of stuff out there in the cosmos.

First up is the first ever astro image I managed to take, Jupiter and one of it's moons Io. I've become better at processing the raw files over the past few months and this has been reprocessed in the last couple of days.

Click the image to open in full size.

Next up is a close up shot of the limb of the moon which was taken a couple of nights ago.

I'm hoping to be able to capture Saturn and Mars in the coming weeks and then it'll be onto some of the fainter stuff.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Driver Award 
YouTube Profile
Nice - I have a work collegue that has a DSLR connected up to telescope that produced some reasonable results.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that moon is Io?
Old 06-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Nice - I have a work collegue that has a DSLR connected up to telescope that produced some reasonable results.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that moon is Io?

I'd like to get a DSLR but you're talking 400 and then you really need to get one of the filters removed for best results which is another 200, unless you have a go at removing it yourself

I know it's Io because of this cracking piece of free software Stellarium . Just stick in your location, the current time and date and it'll show where everything is in the Sky. So I knew from looking at Stellarium that Io was in that position at the time I captured the footage.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Driver Award 
YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
I know it's Io because of this cracking piece of free software Stellarium . Just stick in your location, the current time and date and it'll show where everything is in the Sky. So I knew from looking at Stellarium that Io was in that position at the time I captured the footage.

Ah, I thought you had identified it from the photo somehow That makes more sense.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Stibz
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
xStibz
PSN Tag
stibbz
Rep
vCash
Excellent, keep em coming slim, I think they are good.
I don't want to tale photo's myself at those spots, there yours lol

cya
Old 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
TfR Spacejock55
Race Driver

Gamertag
spacejock55
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Paintjob Award Photocomp Winner Determination Award 
Cracking shots mate but if you didn't use a dslr how did you take the images as i am quite interested and have been thinking of getting a telescope, something like a 6" refractor minimum, would like an 8" but bit big for being mobile etc and expensive , what do you think slim.
Steve....

My Photo Album. http://postimage.org/gallery/67ev1f8/
Prowd member of Chop Shop.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Newt
Race Driver

Gamertag
LastNewtStandin
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Member of the Month Best Rookie Award 
Twitter Profile
Cracking shots Slim

Looking forward to seeing more!

Ambitious but Rubbish Racing - Slow by name not by nature
Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Spacejock55 View Post
Cracking shots mate but if you didn't use a dslr how did you take the images as i am quite interested and have been thinking of getting a telescope, something like a 6" refractor minimum, would like an 8" but bit big for being mobile etc and expensive , what do you think slim.
Steve....

I actually use a phillips web cam that has been updated with a better firmware and has had a long exposure mod done to it. Much cheaper and still gives good results.

As for a scope, aperture is everything! Get the biggest aperture you can afford. I've got a 10" reflector on a pretty serious goto mount and that's at the absolute limit of being mobile, only just fits in my C5 Tourer with one of the back seats down. But there is a lot to consider such as, where you'll be using it and what for. Take a look at this forum Stargazers Lounge - Astronomy Forum lots of great people and advice there. I'm just a beginner but if it's all a bit bewildering just pop across a PM and I'll do my best to help you out. Another great site is Astronomy Shed Home Page they have an excellent video tutorial section with loads of vids that explain stuff for us beginners.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Next up is the Orion Nebula a star forming region at the tip of Orions sword. The field of view of my camera is fairly small so this is quite a zoomed in image of the core. Can see some good nebulosity as well as four of the five stars of the trapezium being resolved. This is my first bash at a faint deep sky object. It's a bit like black magic trying to get the best out of these faint objects and I'm only at the start of a long journey in learning how it's done.

Comments

Old 06-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
TfR Spacejock55
Race Driver

Gamertag
spacejock55
Rep
vCash
Awards
Crack on Slim , i down loaded that star chart thing and it is the nuts really easy to id the planets etc just got to learn to use it properly but looking forward to warm clear nights. That's another great image as well its amazing whats out there if you know where and how to look, makes your head hurt if you try to think of the vastness of space and the universe .
Steve...

Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
makes your head hurt if you try to think of the vastness of space and the universe .
Steve...

I've been reading a lot of books recently about the universe and how it was formed and it's a complete head feck at times. The numbers are just mind boggling and some of the concepts when you get into the theoretical physics side of things are really hard to grasp. Very enjoyable though, so much so that I've actually been looking at a couple of distance learning astrophysics degree courses. Do that and then see if I can go an get a ride on the that large hadron collider thing, they reckon it goes dead fast
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
TfR Spacejock55
Race Driver

Gamertag
spacejock55
Rep
vCash
Awards
Ok talking scopes now slim what do you think to this as a starter kit to sort of suck it and see, its only a 114mm lens but it does have a motor drive etc, i honestly know squat about this stuff and dont want to buy a pup.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
Cheers slim.
Steve......

Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
ONR Burnz
Race Driver

Gamertag
ONR Burnz
Rep
vCash
what do i need n how much to look at that kinda stuff? im well impressed
Burnz #46

ONR - ONE NATION RACING.....
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
Cashwars BB
Race Driver

Gamertag
Cashwars
PSN Tag
Chunkee_Monkey
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Keep the pics coming, pretty impressive seeing these kind of shots as normally only look up when it starts raining...no idea why....
Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Ok talking scopes now slim what do you think to this as a starter kit to sort of suck it and see, its only a 114mm lens but it does have a motor drive etc, i honestly know squat about this stuff and dont want to buy a pup.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
Cheers slim.
Steve......

PM sent
Old 08-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 

Very impressive this one - I can only imagine how hard it is to image a nebula bearing in mind how hard they are to see in the first place (at least with the naked eye). You've definitley made me look forward to going back to Yorkshire and it's clear skies rather than the sodium glow we get down here.

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
Screaming
Test Driver

Rep
vCash
I don't think i've ever been anywhere without loads of light pollution, so never seen the night sky in all its glory.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Screaming View Post
I don't think i've ever been anywhere without loads of light pollution, so never seen the night sky in all its glory.

It's a nightmare. Luckily I can drive about 20 miles to a local reservoir to find pretty dark skies but only do it now and again when it's guaranteed to be clear. I used to live in Saudi Arabia and some of the nights camping in the desert were absolutely astonishing, didn't need a telescope

@all If you have reasonably dark skies and it's clear between 10 and midnight tonight get yourself out and look up. There is a huge solar storm hitting the earth as we speak and there's a good chance of seeing the aurora.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
hOnG k0nG fu3y
Race Driver

Gamertag
hOnG k0nG fU3y
Rep
vCash
It's a nightmare. Luckily I can drive about 20 miles to a local reservoir to find pretty dark skies but only do it now and again when it's guaranteed to be clear. I used to live in Saudi Arabia and some of the nights camping in the desert were absolutely astonishing, didn't need a telescope

@all If you have reasonably dark skies and it's clear between 10 and midnight tonight get yourself out and look up. There is a huge solar storm hitting the earth as we speak and there's a good chance of seeing the aurora.

there was a program on bbc four last night, an extended "The Sky at night" about ameteur astronomy. They went to a few places to view the skies, 1 of then was Kielder Forrest.

BBC iPlayer - The Sky at Night: Citizen Astronomy
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by hOnG k0nG fu3y View Post
there was a program on bbc four last night, an extended "The Sky at night" about ameteur astronomy. They went to a few places to view the skies, 1 of then was Kielder Forrest.

BBC iPlayer - The Sky at Night: Citizen Astronomy

I was up at Kielder with the family a couple of weekends ago. We had a few sessions at the observatory up there but it was foggy both nights so no chance of looking through the big scopes they have got. Did have a few excellent talks from the lead astronomer Gary though about the Universe. Absolutely fascinating stuff. I highly recommend it to anyone who is in the area. And if it's a clear night you will be in for an absolute treat as they have the darkest skies in England. It's about 47 miles from where I live so I'll be going up again in the future.
Old 22-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #21
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Couple more images I took recently. First up is M51 the Whirlpool Galaxy. This was taken with a modified webcam and is a pretty difficult target for this camera. I didn't get enough data to end up with a brilliant result but I'm pretty happy with it.

And second we have the Orion nebuala. This was taken with a Canon 350D DSLR which I have borrowed from a guy I work with. I didn't many subs of this before it went behind a tree and I didn't get a very good focus.

And finally our nearest galactic neighbour Andromeda. Once again nor enough subs but it's the first night using the camera so I was just messing about really.

Last edited by Slim; 22-03-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 22-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
hOnG k0nG fu3y
Race Driver

Gamertag
hOnG k0nG fU3y
Rep
vCash
cool. Iso is fixed at 400 in the auto modes on that camera. If you have experimented with manual then you can really use the camera to its full potential, just takes a bit of getting used to. How are you connecting the camera to the scope? There is a dedicated lense to scope eye piece for the Canon. Shame the 350d lcd display cant be used as a viewfinder unlike on the later cameras.

Amazing to see whats above our heads.
Last edited by hOnG k0nG fu3y; 22-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 22-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by hOnG k0nG fu3y View Post
cool. Iso is fixed at 400 in the auto modes on that camera. If you have experimented with manual then you can really use the camera to its full potential, just takes a bit of getting used to.
Amazing to see whats above our heads

Those were taken at an ISO setting of 800. Camera is in manual mode with lots of other settings played about with. I was only taking 10 - 30 second exposures. Will be pushing that upto 300 when I get a light pollution filter and get the scope guiding properly.

I use a T piece which screws directly onto the eyepiece holder. Yeah it is a bit of a nightmare with the 350 not having the live view funtion but I'm looking on ebay for a 450d or 1000d as we speak.
Old 22-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #24
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Took this a while ago but only just found it again.

Old 22-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #25
hOnG k0nG fu3y
Race Driver

Gamertag
hOnG k0nG fU3y
Rep
vCash
Took this a while ago but only just found it again.

nice, im always underwhelmed when i take a pic of the moon, even with my 300mm lens its just not big enough.
Old 29-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Another new pic M51, the Whirlpool Galaxy. I'm not happy with it but there is a pretty steep learning curve with this DSLR lark so not bad for a first effort. Need to build a light box a I can take some flats and get much much more data.

Last edited by Slim; 29-03-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #27
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
This is going to be my final posting of M51 as I think I've overdosed on it a little. Re processed my data and cropped the final image so more of the galaxy can be seen.

Comments

nice
Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #28
Screaming
Test Driver

Rep
vCash
is that 2 galaxies merging? kinda like what will happen to us and andromeda in the distant future?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #29
Stibz
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
xStibz
PSN Tag
stibbz
Rep
vCash
I'm liking these pictures a lot slim
Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #30
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Couldn't resist another pic of M51 as I'm learning this processing lark all the time.

Comments

very cool.

really like

Tags
advice, awesome, big, final, focus, free, gallery, guide, happy, huge, knowledge, laptop, live, mission, night, page, photo, pictures, post, results, settings, shots, stars, tfr, video, world