Go Back   FMUK > General > Discussion > Photography

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Old 16-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
WiggyDiggyPoo

Gamertag
wiggydiggypoo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Cycling - Chesterfield to Leeds

So on a very misty morning in March I did the complete 'Central' branch of the Transpennine Trail. Oficially clocks in at at 72 miles its a long but relatively easy day if you give yourself enough time.

Anyway

Chesterfield Canal

Currently being restored this narrow canal (single lock gates) will eventually be entirely naviagable again. For now I followed it for a few miles until Stavely Bridge where new locks are being built to take the canal under the railway.
Click the image to open in full size.

Staveley Bridge to Rother Valley

The trail joins a disused railway which was a branch line between Sheffield and Chesterfield. The station is Killamarsh (more info on link). This would have been a very picturesque ride had it not been so misty until roughly the station, the entire line is on an embankment for most of the way so a return trip on a sunnier day is needed.
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k...sh/index.shtml
The lake at Rother Valley looking rather misty

Sheffield
The weir at Sheffield Forgemaster, I like this weir.

Elescar Heritage RailwayCentre
By the time I got here the was very sunny and this previously closed centre was booming. I just missed one of the engines coming back in but they had several running and a large craft/antiques fair. Well worth a visit if your in the area (and its open!)

'After Barnsley'
This is to the North East of Barnsley, the path isnt the widest at the best of times and someones idea of a joke doesnt help....

Barnsley Canal
Cold Hiendley Reservoir which served the Barnsley Canal

Temple Newsam House
Had a nice sit in the late afternoon sunshine here, always a pleasent place to stop.
Old 16-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Orbius Maximus
Tyre Carrier

Gamertag
Orbius Maximus
Rep
vCash
Looks like you had a fantastic day Wiggy.

Who did you ride with? How long did you ride for? do you have more SCENIC photo of your route? how did you prepare for the ride (food, clothing, bike), will you post this on MVG so the other cyclist enthusiasts can read about your adventures?

Keep me posted m8
Old 16-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Anx
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
PTG Anxious
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Photocomp Winner 
Ah Temple Newsam, a place i know very well! Was there on bank holiday Monday with my 8yr old and my 'friend' and her daughter. Weather wasn't quite as pleasant as that while we were there though.

Clocking up some serious miles Wiggy

R.I.P H00nta
Pendulum Tuning Group
Forzatographer and occasional tuner (very occasional )
Old 16-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
WiggyDiggyPoo

Gamertag
wiggydiggypoo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Originally Posted by Orbius Maximus View Post
Looks like you had a fantastic day Wiggy.

Who did you ride with? How long did you ride for? do you have more SCENIC photo of your route? how did you prepare for the ride (food, clothing, bike), will you post this on MVG so the other cyclist enthusiasts can read about your adventures?

Keep me posted m8

Just a disclaimer - I have put previous rides on MVG but its a little hard to keep two sites up to date so I only update this one now....

Anyway:

That one was on my own, but I now have a couple of riding buddies. If your not a Club/TT rider (and I'm definately not!) it can be harder to find people.

Prep conisted of making sure it wasnt going to rain (fog warning only came sunday morning!) the night before and booking the train in advance - its 4.50 to Chesterfield from Leeds so its worth booking just in case.

Food is a very big breakfast, normally fried with lots of bacon On the ride itself I take maltloaf, chocolate and 'something else' - in this case cheese sandwiches. Drinks I just make cordial but I add some extra suger and salt to it.

Pictures are slack I know, I sat on my camera a while back and still need to buy a charger/new bag for my other camera. Keeps getting put off but this week I should order it.

Timewise I set off at I think 0930, was in leeds at 1630ish with about 1hrs breaks.

Originally Posted by TfR AnxiousMann View Post
Ah Temple Newsam, a place i know very well! Was there on bank holiday Monday with my 8yr old and my 'friend' and her daughter. Weather wasn't quite as pleasant as that while we were there though.

Clocking up some serious miles Wiggy

The mileage is because I want to do touring this year, I'm counting on doing 50+ miles a day laden so I figure doing 70+ unladen will train me up well.

The weather was I think the weekend before the hatwave weather in March so very plesant if a little cold in the morning.
Old 16-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Orbius Maximus
Tyre Carrier

Gamertag
Orbius Maximus
Rep
vCash
Well done Wiggy. You're a true cycling enthusiast.

I went to Sainsburys on my bike today

I've gone grocery shopping on my bike (twicxe a week) for 3 years now, and I mostly enjoy it, except for when I'm laden down real heavy.
Old 16-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
WiggyDiggyPoo

Gamertag
wiggydiggypoo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Well done Wiggy. You're a true cycling enthusiast.

I went to Sainsburys on my bike today

I've gone grocery shopping on my bike (twicxe a week) for 3 years now, and I mostly enjoy it, except for when I'm laden down real heavy.

Trailer or Panniers? Or you punish yourself and wear a rucksack lol!

This route BTW is very easy to combine either parts or all of it, the Chesterfield>Sheffield (Rother Valley) is a couple hourse leisurely cycle for most.

I have to admit despite my fondness of this route the sections around Barnsley are rotten, broken glass, needles, **** and little and the ever prescent scrotes on mini-motos ruin what could be decent cycling in a very built up area.

I've got a lot planned for this summer and if eveything goes well I'll do 3 x C2C routes (Coast to Coast West to East) which will include the full TPT West to East and Hadrians Cycleway.

My main trip will be a longer tour around the East Coasts of Scotland and England, from Edingburgh down to Hull. That will be a 2 week jaunt I think, take my time and do some sightseeing (and some fraternising with the locals as I go heheh)

Oh and anything on a bike is better than nothing, just by doing the short shopping trips think of the money you've saved in petrol by not driving
Old 16-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Orbius Maximus
Tyre Carrier

Gamertag
Orbius Maximus
Rep
vCash
Quote:
Trailer or Panniers? Or you punish yourself and wear a rucksack lol!

Interesting story behind this. I used a rucsack and a strong cotton Asda bag on the handlebars, did that for 2 years. Sometimes it got too heavy on the back, which is where most of the load went to keep things balanced.

I then decided to buy rack and panniers. I fitted the rack, tried rucksack with 1 pannier. After a while I reverted back to rucksack and Asda bag - LOL. It saved taking panniers on and off, and it carried just the same load.

I'll give the panniers another go soon, get my monies worth. LOL.

I'm going to try and do more leasure cycling this year. I'll start small and build up. I'll keep you posted
Old 16-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
WiggyDiggyPoo

Gamertag
wiggydiggypoo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Interesting story behind this. I used a rucsack and a strong cotton Asda bag on the handlebars, did that for 2 years. Sometimes it got too heavy on the back, which is where most of the load went to keep things balanced.

I then decided to buy rack and panniers. I fitted the rack, tried rucksack with 1 pannier. After a while I reverted back to rucksack and Asda bag - LOL. It saved taking panniers on and off, and it carried just the same load.

I'll give the panniers another go soon, get my monies worth. LOL.

I'm going to try and do more leasure cycling this year. I'll start small and build up. I'll keep you posted

I've been recommended 'Tubus' racks as very strong

TBH If its regular shopping, I'd get a trailer Theres loads of options out there and if you use your bike as a utility machine they apparently work wonders

Tags
big, broken, mvg, night, photo, post, running, tfr